useful english phrases for every day use




        
as to
- with regard to, according to “As to your question, I will answer it tomorrow.” The players were put into groups as to their ability.
as well
- in addition, also, too I plan to take a computer course this summer as well.
as well as
- in addition to “Please bring your swimming suit as well as your towel.”
back and forth
- backwards and forwards, first one way and then the other way The argument went back and forth before the judge made a decision.
better off
- to be in a better situation than before My friend would be better off if he sold his old car and bought a new one.
break down (something)
- to divide something into parts, to separate something into simpler substances We tried to break down the problem for further study. The sugar began to break down soon after it was swallowed.
break up
- to separate, to divide into groups or pieces, to put an end to something Nobody wanted to break up their groups. We usually break up into small groups during our class.
by the way
- incidentally “By the way, could you please bring your laptop computer tomorrow.”
carry out (something)
- to put something into action, to accomplish something, to do something The scientist wanted to carry out several experiments before discussing the new medicine.
come on!
- please, hurry, go faster “Come on, I only have a few minutes before I must go.” “Come on, stop doing that.”
come up
- to happen unexpectedly I will not be able to go to the party if something else comes up.
come up with (something)
- to produce or find a thought/idea/answer I tried to come up with a name for the new magazine.
deal with (something)
- to be concerned with something, to take action about something We will deal with the boxes tomorrow.
end up (doing something or going somewhere)
- to do something that one had not planned to do, to go somewhere one had not planned
to go We ended up going to a restaurant after the movie last night.
figure out (someone or something)
- to try to understand someone or something, to solve something I finally figured out how to use the new DVD player.
fill in (something)
- to write words in blank spaces “Please fill in this form and give it to the receptionist.”
Find out (something)
- to learn or discover something My mother is angry at me because she found out that I had quit my French class.
first of all
- the very first thing First of all we prepared the garden and then we planted the seeds.
for good
- permanently The city will close the public swimming pool for good next week.
for sure
- without doubt, certainly, surely “I will go to the movie with you for sure next week.”
get back to (something)
- to return to something I was happy to get back to my work after my holiday.
get into (something)
- to become interested or involved in something
I do not want to get into an argument with my friend. We will get into the details of the plan tomorrow.
get into (somewhere)
- to enter somewhere
My friend wants to get into a good university. I bumped my head as I was getting into the
car.
get out of (somewhere)
- to leave somewhere, to escape from somewhere I want to hurry and get out of my house.
get rid of (something)
- to give or throw something away, to sell or destroy something, to make a cold or fever disappear
I bought a new television set so I want to get rid of the old one.
get through (something)
- to complete something, to finish something
My friend is having trouble getting through her final exams. I have much reading that I must get through before tomorrow.
go ahead
- to begin to do something “Let`s go ahead and start now. We can`t wait any longer.”
go on
- to continue The game will probably go on for an hour after we leave.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire