Articles




The articles a/an (the indefinite article) and the (the definite article) belong to a group of words called determiners. They normally go at the beginning of noun phrases.
  • Alice is a financial advisor.
  • She is working for an insurance company.
  • I have been to the doctor.
  • Can I talk to the manager?
What are articles used for?
Articles are used to show whether we are talking about things that are known both to the speaker and to the listener, or that are not known to them both. Articles can also show whether we are talking about things in general or particular things.
Points to be noted
A singular countable noun normally has an article or other determiner (my, this, her, some etc.) with it. We can say a dog, my dog, that dog or every dog, but not just dog.
  • I saw a child in the store.
  • They have a house in the city.
  • Can I use your car?
  • He is my friend.
  • Who is that boy in the red shirt?
Plural and uncountable nouns can be used with or without an article or other determiner.
  • Children usually rush about.
  • Milk is rich in nutrients.
  • Is there any milk in the bottle?
  • Water is precious.
  • Time is money.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire